Monday, July 27, 2009

Longo

My first exposure to Robert Longo's work came when I was 20 years old and dating a girl who lived in an amazing art studio / converted living quarters on E. 11th Street in New York City. In what was one of the wildest summers on record, I woke up most mornings to two huge Longo's on the wall - not having a clue whose work they were but always staring in wonder at their contorted yet static forms of men and women writhing in what appeared to be either near-death experiences or overjoyed dance moves. Only later did I learn they were famous pieces from Longo's "Men in the Cities" series. A few days ago, Todd Selby stepped into Longo's NYC studio and snapped some shots of the artist's work and his tools of trade. The paints and brushes and pencils and charcoal are what struck me most:






No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics