Saturday, October 31, 2009

The Man Who Got Me Into the Business

I moved to New York City in August of 2000 and lived there until the winter of 03'-'04. A relatively short stint by most New Yorkers standards, but it was the first city I lived in post-college and therefore holds a very, very special place in my heart. I lived with 5 other guys my junior and senior years in college but wanted to strike out on my own when I got to the city. I found a tiny little place in Little Italy (Mulberry between Broome and Grand to be exact), began to explore the neighborhood, and eventually found the steel-doored vault that is B-4 It Was Cool. I never knew until that day that I was attracted to old stuff - especially of the American industrial variety that B-4 happened to specialize in. Run by Gadi Gilan - a big, burly Eastern European badass - B-4 It Was Cool started my fascination with old America and eventually led me to leave the music industry, move to Austin, become an antique dealer, and the rest is history. I don't ever plan on leaving this business. It provides an amazing insight into a bygone America that will never, ever return, and everyday I'm thankful I found it. I have this man to thank for the introduction.

Gadi Gilan Presented by ACL x Cole, Rood & Haan Co. from Michael Williams on Vimeo.

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics